FAQ’S – Owners

How will you find the right tenant for my home?
With our local community location and strict processing procedures including TICA Risk Management Tenancy Database, you have less risk of ending up with poor tenants with a bad rental history – they gravitate towards outside agencies that they know won’t be watching.
We guarantee that all enquiries are promptly actioned so you are not missing out on potential tenants. We also have viewings during the week and on the weekend as we understand it is often the best tenants that can’t get out of work to make it.

How often is my property inspected?
At Positive Property People we understand the importance of conducting regular routine inspections. With this in mind we set up the first inspection 6 weeks after your tenant moves in to their new home, and every 17 weeks afterwards.
However you can be sure that the routine inspection is not just the only time we drive past your property. We are consistently out there, driving around the streets of our community.

What if my tenant falls behind in rent?
We have strict rent arrears procedures in place, should a tenant fall behind in their rent. Our primary focus is to ensure that our office mitigates any loss of income to the property owner. In accordance with the law, our office will also issue the appropriate notices:
– 1st day up to and including 7th day in arrears – receive a reminder phone call and/ or SMS
– 8th day in arrears– RTA From 11 Notice to Remedy issued (with 2 days postage allowed), giving 7 days notice to pay the outstanding rent
– 15th day in arrears – RTA Form 12 Notice to Leave issued with 7 days notice to vacate.

What insurances do I need?
Landlord insurance is so important. It can cover unforeseen circumstances like the following:
– Accidental damage or breakage
– Malicious damage or vandalism caused by tenants
– Deliberate or intentional damage caused by tenants
– Liability insurance with a choice for $5m, $10m or $20m cover
– Loss of rental income
– Rent default and theft by tenants
Positive Property People can refer you to one of the leading landlord insurers – Terri Scheer Insurance, just contact us for details.
Building insurance, Contents to cover your fixtures and a minimum of $10 Million Public Liability is also a must.

Are there any specific legal requirements when renting my house out in QLD?

Smoke Alarms & Safety Switches
The lessor must clean and test all smoke alarms at the property within 30 days of the start of a tenancy. This also includes renewal of current lease agreements. We strongly recommend you engage our preferred contractor to remove liability from yourself as the landlord.
Since 2008, all residential rental properties where a tenancy agreement is in place are legally required to have a safety switch installed. By law all electrical work must be carried out by a licensed electrical contractor.

Corded Window Coverings
New blinds and other internal window coverings with cords must now comply with new national laws. The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) introduced the regulation following concerns that looped cords posed a child strangulation risk.
Lessors, agents and suppliers must comply with the new mandatory standard when supplying new window coverings in rental properties. While it is not essential to replace all existing blinds, there are simple ways of minimising risks posed by older blinds before they are replaced.
The Office of Fair Trading recommends adding safety tassels to cords or adding a hook high on a window frame to hook up the cord. The bottom of any blind or curtain cord should be at least 160cm above the floor.

Leasing a property with a pool or spa
Queensland pool safety laws apply to pools associated with houses, townhouses, units, hotels, motels, backpacker hostels, homestay accommodation and caravan parks (Classes 1–4 buildings). Pool owners have until 30 November 2015 to comply with the new pool safety laws, or earlier if they sell or lease their property before this time.
Lease arrangements
Different rules apply depending on whether the pool is a shared or non-shared pool. Spas that are capable of being filled with 300 millimetres or more of water, have a volume of 2000 litres or more and a filtration system, are covered by the new laws. However, this does not include bathroom spas that are used as baths.
Non-shared pools
If a pool is only accessible to residents of one dwelling such as a private house or private spa on a unit balcony, it is a non-shared pool. Before entering into a new or renewed lease for a property with a non-shared pool, the owner must ensure a pool safety certificate is in effect for the pool.
Shared pools
If residents of two or more dwellings can use a pool, such as a body corporate pool, it is a shared pool. For shared pools, the owner must give the person who will be the tenant a copy of a pool safety certificate if one is in effect.

Charging Tenants for Water Usage
Landlords are allowed to pass on the full water consumption costs to tenants provided all the minimum criteria have been met.
What are the minimum criteria for water charging?
1. The rental premises are individually metered (or water is delivered by vehicle), and
2. The rental premises are water efficient, and
3. The tenancy agreement states the tenant must pay for water consumption.
If your property does not meet these requirements then an excess amount of water can be passed on to the tenant.